Monday, December 5, 2011

Welcome!

Hello! My name is Autumn and I am a recent paleo convert. Let me tell you a bit about myself. I am a registered nurse in central California and I work the night shift in the ICU step-down unit at a major hospital in the area. Prior to "going paleo" I thought that I ate relatively healthy, whole grains and yogurt were staples in my diet. I do, however, have a major sweet tooth which would cause me to often go overboard on cookies, cupcakes, and candy, often in the middle of the night at work. I was tired of feeling sick and lethargic all the time and while I knew that night shift played a factor, I also knew I needed to clean up my eating. So after hearing about the paleo diet from my boyfriend, we decided to do it together. For the first few days I found that although I had a caffeine headache nightly, I had more energy and the caffeine withdraw was not nearly as bad as it had been in the past when I had quit, nor as bad as it should have been for the amount of caffeine I had been consuming just to maintain a "normal" energy level. After two weeks of eating paleo, I am now a convert. I no longer require coffee and my energy levels are better than previously. I have also lost 5lbs and my clothes are fitting better. It has definitely been a learning process, and I am still learning daily. The first day I started eating paleo I went and bought 4lbs quinoa, because it's a seed and not a grain right? The next day I read that because of the grain-like qualities of quinoa in the body, it is not paleo. So now I am left with an abundant supply of something I won't eat! That bag is going to my parents house along with all other non-paleo pantry and freezer items in my house. My goal in this blog is to chronicle my life as I learn how to "live paleo". So come along for the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment